Lebanon’s Minister of Financial system held a press convention the place he tackled the impacts of the Syrian disaster from 2011 until as we speak on the Lebanese financial system and confused that we are able to now not bear this disaster.
Right here’s what he declared in his press convention, primarily based on reviews from the World Financial institution and worldwide organizations:
– The Syrian disaster has price Lebanon round 18 billion USD from 2011 till current.
– The Syrian labor pressure elevated by 384,000 individuals.
– Unemployment charge amongst Lebanese is now 30% due to the refugee disaster.
– The common wage of a Syrian employee is $278, virtually half the Lebanese minimal wage.
– 40% of Lebanon’s residents are actually Syrians.
– Lebanon is in wanted of 486 further Megawatts by way of electrical energy.
– Native produce dropped drastically.
Talking of electrical energy, this isn’t the primary time a Lebanese minister blames the refugees for the electrical energy disaster. Again in February 2017, Lebanon’s Power Ministry claimed we’d have had 24/24 electrical energy if it weren’t for the refugees, which I’m nonetheless discovering it exhausting to imagine.
So far as unemployment is anxious, it has been on the rise for so long as I can keep in mind so it might be attention-grabbing to have a look at the actual causes certified Lebanese staff are unable to discover a job. In reality, if somebody has entry to those reviews that the minister is referring to, it might be nice to take a look at them.
Extra importantly, and since this refugee disaster has been dragging for nearly 7 years now, what are the actions being taken by the authorities to arrange this mess? As a result of asking for his or her secure return to Syria is simpler stated than achieved.